- Hall, S. (1997) Representations: Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices. London, Sage.
- Long, P. and T. Wall. (2009) Media Studies: Texts, Production and Content. Harlow: Pearson.
- Jar City (2006)
- Wallander (Swedish version-tv series) (2005 – ongoing)
- Wallander (Swedish version-film series)
- The Man Who Smiled 1 (2003)
- The Man Who Smiled 2 (2003)
- The Man Who Smiled 3 (3003)
Different media (for example fictional film, documentary film, news reports, newspaper columns, advertisements, fictional literature, music video etc) and different genres within each of these media (eg within fictional film – film noir, the gangster, chick flick, rom com etc) have different codes, conventions and rules for their narrative forms, even though the subject may be identical. In your groups, and using the research you did on Film Noir prepare a 5 -10 min informal presentation on the representation of crime in Film Noir, eg, what type of people tend to be the central protagonists, how are they portrayed, how does the stylistic, musical and visual presentation of the narrative help to produce the particular representation of crime in Noir? The following is a useful resource: http://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/home.html