Education and Qualifications
University of Texas at Austin, USA. Department of English, Rhetoric & Composition, Division of Media & Cultural Studies. Dissertation title: “Turning It into a Proper Business”: The Fate of Complexity in Distance Learning Corporate Discourse. A case study on the appropriation of academic discourses in the corporate workplace.
1991 Laurea (Magna cum laude)
Università di Genova, Italy. Dipartimento di Lingue e Letterature Straniere Moderne. Thesis title: Traditional Irish Epic of and Its Transformations: Thomas Kinsella’s Tain Translation. A discourse analysis of cross-cultural representations.
2009-present Senior Lecturer, Coventry University, UK
- Main research areas: fan studies, gender and queer studies.
- Main teaching areas: online identities; participatory audiences; media and cultural theory; communication practice.
- Year tutor, thesis and dissertation supervisor.
2006-2009 Professeur Associé, Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI), France
- Main research areas: participatory media narratives and representations.
- Main teaching areas: non-traditional learning; digital curriculum and course design.
- Postgraduate dissertation supervisor.
1998-2009 Learning Consultant, IBM Europe
- Main research areas: non-traditional teaching methodologies.
- Main teaching areas: curriculum and syllabus planning and development.
- New hire mentor.
1996-97 Professore, private University Istituto Europeo Design, Rome, Italy
- Main teaching areas: semiotics and sociolinguistics of digital media.
1992-96 Assistant Instructor, University of Texas at Austin, USA
- Main research areas: academic discourses in the corporate workplace; online gender identities and representations. US Federal-funded project on virtual multi-user communications.
- Main teaching areas: online collaborative communication; gender and technology; cyberpunk culture.
- Vice-Director, Computer Writing and Research Lab.
Grants, Awards and Funding
- Fulbright fellowship.
- US Federal ARPA research grant.
- University of Aberystwyth, UK research grant.
- IBM Teaching Excellence grants.